Wednesday, June 06, 2007

LLC Motorhomes may require permit or IFTA license

Is your diesel-powered motorhome registered as an LLC, or limited liability company?

If so, you might be required to possess an International Fuel Tax Agreement license or a fuel trip permit when traveling out-of-state.

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among jurisdictions in the United States and Canada for the uniform collection and distribution of fuel tax revenues.

According to the International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA, Inc.), which oversees IFTA compliance, an IFTA license or a fuel trip permit is required for diesel-powered vehicles that:

• weigh more than 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms;
• have three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
• have a combined weight (with towed vehicle) greater than 6,000 pounds.

The IFTA exempts motorhomes used by private individuals exclusively for recreation. However ...

LLCs not excluded
LLC-registered motorhomes that qualify under the weight or axle requirements are not exempt from the license/permit requirement -- even if owners furnish poof that the LLC was not formed to transact business.
Full Story...
Get Mark Polk's Class A Motorhome 101 RV DVD All of Mark's DVD's offer practical information and he has one for every RV type. Find all the RV Education 101 DVDs here.

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]