4th of July Destinations for RVers
Below is a list of July 4th destinations that are mostly accessable with an RV however you may have to park the rig nearby and take other transportations to the event.
- Rapid City South Dakota - This is great RV country with a large number of good RV parks. You will also find a number of nice places to visit, but on the 4th the best place is Mount Rushmore. You need to get there early, but they cram as many into the park as possible. You can be a mile away on the side of the road and it is still a great show with fireworks, laser lights and music.
- Las Vegas Nevada - This can be a fun place to visit most anytime, but they do it up well on the 4th each year. For 2009 they are celebrating the year '1969' with some old bands and such. I heard Don McLean and "Bye Bye American Pie" will be featured. There are a lot of people, but they spread the celebration out.
- Southport North Carolina - This is a little town just south of Wilmington. It sits at the mouth of the Cape Fear River and they do a good job with the fireworks. It is a small, quiet southern town that grows leaps and bounds on this day. Great seafood that is fresh caught right there. You can eat in restaurants or buy fresh and cook your own. There is a great beach nearby. They park a barge in the river and shoot the fireworks off from there.
- San Francisco California - Down in the area of Fisherman's Wharf near the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square they have quite a weekend celebration. There are a lot of people milling around, but the food is excellent. It is the only place I know where you get world class seafood, world class fireworks and world class chocolate all at the same time!
- Austin Texas - They have a great concert and great fireworks. There is something special about the Fourth in Texas. It is outdoors and the weather is almost always good.
- Disneyworld - Orlando Florida - Every day is celebration day here. The camping in Fort Wilderness is great and there are many other RV parks in the area. It is an expensive destination, but you just get to go into a fantasy world for a few hours.
- Boston Massachusetts - The Boston Pops on the Green in Boston Harbor is something you should do once in your life.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan - They shoot fireworks from the island, the City of Mackinaw and Sault Ste. Marie in Canada all at the same time. What a show!
Do you know of a special 4th of July celebration that should be listed here? Send an eMail to let us know.