Basic RV Awning Operation Instructions
An RV awning is one of the most popular 'options' available for your Motor Home, Fifth Wheel or Travel Trailer. But many RVers don't use their awing because they don't know how easy it is to use. Follow the simple instructions below to learn how to operate your RV awning and begin enjoying it.
The instructions below are for an A&E 9000 series manually operated awning. Other brands may have somewhat different hardware but the procedures will be much the same.
RV Awning roll-out:
- Loosen the rafters knobs on both awning support arms.
- Release the travel locks on both awning arms.
- Switch the ratchet lever on the roller tub to roll out position using the awning rod*.
- Hook the pull strap with the awning rod and roll out the awning.
- Slide the rafters up into position on the awning arms.
- Tighten the rafter knobs on both rafters.
- Raise the awning to the desired height using the handle on each support arm.
RV Awning Retraction:
- Lower the support arms to the rest position.
- Loosen the rafters knobs and release the rafter latches.
- Slide the rafters down to the rest position.
- Grasp the awning to prevent it from rolling up by itself.
- Switch the ratchet mechanism to the roll-up position*.
- Control the roll-up with the pull strap and awning rod.
- Secure the travel locks and snug up the rafter knobs.
*A sticking awning rachet lever is common with new awnings because everything is new and the springs that roll up the awning are especially stiff.
Try using your other hand to pull down... just a little... on the awning support arm while releasing the awning lever. This works best when the awning is out but you can also do it when the awning is rolled up.
Pulling down on the support arm helps release to ratchet attached to the other end of the lever. The ratchet is what locks the awning in or out and which way you pull the lever is what controls the ratchet direction.
Get tips on the RV lifestyle, RV equipment, campgrounds, sights and attractions, safety and just about anything else useful RVers.
Stay Up to Date - Follow Us
Join Our FREE RVBasics Email Discussion Group
Get current information about the RVing lifestyle, and the RV industry from your fellow RVers. You can also post your own questions. We never share your email address with anyone.